To get to the State Library of Kansas databases, click "Explore Our Resources" on the left side.
Select a Database: one of the General Research resources work well for most searching needs.
Shawnee Mission Northwest databases
ABC-CLIO: American History, World History: Ancient & Medieval Eras, World History: The Modern Ers, World at War, World Georgraphy, World Religions, Issues
Get username and password from librarian
Local newspaper articles- Kansas City Star
Look up Books
You can find books from SMNW or from any SM school library.
Books Like the One I Just Read
Select Kansas State Databases from the right column. Click on "Explore Our Resources" Choose Novelist to explore authors or a specific book to discover read-a-like recommendations, book discussion guides, reviews, and more!
Finding Support Articles
Select Kansas State Databases. Click on "Explore Our Resources".
Select one of the General Research databases. Be sure that you are searching for "full text" articles.
Select Literary Reference Center to browse and search full-text of literary works alongside journal articles, author biographies, and reviews.
Articles have bibliographic information needed for your citation.
Working from home and saving your work
Access your H-Drive from home
1. go to SMNW Homepage
(www.smsd.org; click Schools and select SMNW)
2. click on Web Back Pack (left sidebar)
3. scroll to top, click on Students in left sidebar
4. log on (use your school information)
5. click on H-Drive in sidebar to access work saved at school
IMPORTANT: when working from a non-SMSD computer, be sure to save your work AND then upload the file to the H-drive in order for the most updated version to be saved on your H-drive at school.
· For students with Mac at home: save to a flash drive, save as Word files, or save as an RTF (rich text format)
· Students cannot bring in their personal laptop and expect to be able to print. They have to be issued a “guest wireless password” (by librarian) which takes 24-48 hours to become active
Johnson Country Public Library
Select Research, then select the database by topic or Databases A-Z.
You will need a JCPL library card and PIN.